[ncolug] Re: Meeting topic

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:47:10 -0400

Was that an actual commitment to doing a demo next month? Just asking.

David Fierbaugh wrote:
While a demo of some things that you can do rapidly with Rails is cool, I've found that knowing some Ruby is Very important. I was thinking something like:

quick intro to Ruby
- a first ruby script
- ruby - the program (interpreter)
- irb - Ruby Shell/command line (interactive ruby)
- erb - embedded ruby
- RAILS - Ruby based web development system
- Where it goes from here.......

On Thursday 13 July 2006 14:49, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
Ok, that's the sort of stuff I want/need to hear.
Let's have someone (you?) do a presentation on Ruby/Rails.  While I'm an
admitted skeptic, I'm not close-minded.

Chuck

David Fierbaugh wrote:
Rails is VERY MVC (Model, View, Controller) oriented. It uses ERB
(embedded ruby) extensively for handling layout and , but it has strong
separation of layout and content (as long as the programmer maintains it,
as with other web languages.)

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 15:17, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
Hey Teague!!  I haven't heard from you in a long while.  Glad to see
you're still active!!

My problem with Perl, Python, and maybe Ruby/Rails is that you quickly
loose the separation between the logic of the application and the
presentation.  Anytime you see HTML embedded in you logic a red flag
should go off.  I really think the data/content should be in XML w/
XSL-T, CSS, and JavaScript handling the rest.

Chuck

Nathan Teague wrote:
If you want fast web server/ web application construction with speed
and extensive controls

better make it pythonic

David Fierbaugh wrote:
On Monday 10 July 2006 23:01, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
I'd be interested in listening about Ruby/Rails - maybe someone could
explain to me "Why?"

Chuck

PS I'm a Ruby/Rails skeptic...
I love using Ruby and RAILS, that being said, I laugh at some of the
hype.

It does eliminate a lot of writing the same thing Over and Over and
Over. And you can get a prototype webapp up in an extraordinarily
short time, as long as you follow all the naming conventions, and your
app fits into a certain model range (that being said, it's easy to
move WAY beyond that quickly, once you figure out how.

And future deeds crowded round us As the countless stars in the night.

                                Goethe (1749-1832)