[ncolug] Re: Loooking for an Exchange Replacement... well sort of

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:29:15 -0500

MrKnisely wrote:

I'm looking to replace my Email server. Not that it isn't running very well, but I just want something different.

Currently I'm running a QMail Rocks setup (http://qmailrocks.org/). Setup was easy to medium and it had all the features I want.

Speaking of the goals:
FREE as in Beer, DJB's licensing doesn't bother me.
Open Source Solution
IMAP-SSL
Spam Filtering
Virus Filtering (Now that I must run a Windows box)
Web based mail
Support for adding multiple domains
Web based management of server and domains

It would be cool to have a web based calendar function and maybe some sort of to-do list.

I would like for this to be a canned package or at least sort of decently supported package. I know I can get all of this seperately and cobble it together. Heck, all of it is available as debian packages. I want a community support group though.
I'm just now starting to look, so if any of you have suggestions let me know.

Mike K.

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field

How about a set of fully supported Debian packages?
Courier <http://www.courier-mta.org/>(http://www.courier-mta.org/) <http://www.courier-mta.org/> is a likely candidate for what you want... though it comes broken-down into a BUNCH of individual packages...

From their home page:

The Courier mail transfer agent (MTA) is an integrated mail/groupware server based on open commodity protocols, such as ESMTP, IMAP, POP3, LDAP, SSL, and HTTP. Courier provides ESMTP, IMAP, POP3, webmail, and mailing list services within a single, consistent, framework. Individual components can be enabled or disabled at will. Courier now implements basic web-based calendaring and scheduling services integrated in the webmail module. Advanced groupware calendaring services will follow soon.

It looks like they do their back-end mail storage using DJB's Maildir format (a very good thing, BTW...)
The missing "integrated" piece seems to be the mail filtering... SPAM and virus filtering would need to be added by additional package(s)... Though there is a filtering mechanism that sounds like it could support any of the SPAM/virus filters out there...

What else have others found?

Chuck

begin:vcard
fn:Chuck Stickelman
n:Stickelman;Chuck
adr:;;3068 Noblet Rd.;Mansfield;Ohio;44903-8634;USA
email;internet:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:419-884-8240
tel;cell:419-610-6638
x-mozilla-html:TRUE