[ncolug] Re: Linphone

  • From: Rob Gibson <nosbig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 01:40:22 -0500

I would agree with Mike on the sentiment that XMPP is the right
protocol for ad-hoc voice and video conversations.  Don't get me
wrong, I am hugely passionate about Asterisk and IAX, but I leave them
for audio only for now.  After I finish my degree, I might be able to
delve deeper into the various options.

Rob

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM, M. Knisely <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My current bandwidth is dedicated to Jitsi.  It can route voice and video
> via XMPP.  It used to be known as SIP Communicator.
>
> Mike
>
> On Feb 21, 2012 10:35 PM, "Rob Gibson" <nosbig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, Microsoft purchased Skype.  Never really liked the software to
>> begin with.  I prefer open communications via SIP, IAX, and/or
>> Asterisk.
>>
>> I do recall Mike Knisely having used Ekiga to make some video calls
>> with his family when he was away.  I have typically stuck with voice
>> for my personal exploits.
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Henry Keultjes
>> <hbkeultjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > http://www.linphone.org/
>> >
>> > Any one able to share their experience with this?
>> >
>> > Mike Bell and I where having trouble with getting Skype to work on my
>> > new
>> > Debian box so we thought of Linphone, installed it and within minutes we
>> > had
>> > video from my own camera on the screen.
>> >
>> > We will not go any further until Mike installs his Linphone so I have
>> > someone to go back and forth with.
>> >
>> > Microsoft buying Sky also seems to be a good reason to go with Linphone
>> > since there is reasonable speculation that Microsoft bought Skype to
>> > move
>> > the user base to MSN.
>> >
>> > Henry Keultjes
>> > Mansfield Ohio USA