[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Women Candidates Woo JCCI Voters; Turnout Low

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:34:13 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=73810&d=27&m=11&y=2005

Sunday, 27, November, 2005 (25, Shawwal, 1426)

      Women Candidates Woo JCCI Voters; Turnout Low
      Maha Akeel, Arab News

            Al-Awael group's Dunya Yunis, Hanan Madani, Amani Abdul Wasae and
Buthaina Moumina woo voters on the first day of JCCI elections in Jeddah on
Saturday. (AN photo by Maha Akeel)

      JEDDAH, 27 November 2005 - Women campaigning for board seats on the
Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry were out in force yesterday at the
registration hall, but women voters were not.

      Those who did show up were either unprepared or expressed confusion over
procedures and candidates.

      After registration, voters were greeted by some of the 17 women
candidates as their staffs distributed brochures explaining their programs.

      Inside the hall, many of the candidates were seated at tables with trays
of sweets and posters behind them to woo the voters.

      The first voter came in a little after the opening hour of 8 a.m. and was
disappointed to see that some of the candidates weren't there and that
preparations for registration were still under way. One candidate did not show
up at all at her table.

      The voters continued trickling in throughout the morning, but by noon
only around 20 had registered.

      Some of them didn't have their commercial licenses with them or their ID
so they couldn't register to vote. Others wanted to meet the candidates and
talk to them before casting ballots later in the afternoon.

      "It's the first day, and it is still early for the voters to rush in,"
said Salwa Ridwan of the Al-Awael group. "I expect more to show up in the
afternoon and tomorrow."

      Another member of the group is Ulfat Qabbani, the only woman candidate
running in the industrialist category out of 18 candidates, making her the most
likely woman to win a seat.

      "There is fear and reluctance by women to enter in the industrial sector,
but this sector is very important for the development of the country, and it is
the sector that will provide them with greater investment and job
opportunities," Qabbani told Arab News.

      Interestingly, a woman is campaigning for the Small Establishments group
that does not include any women but has reserved a seat for whichever
candidate, male or female, who wins to join them.

      "Voting should not be based on gender, and even though I'm happy with the
opportunity allowed for women to run, I chose not to run this time and instead
try to learn from this experience in preparation for the next elections in four
years," said Ghada Ghazzawi, campaign manager for the group during the two days
for women.

      Overall, the candidates and voters were excited about this new
experience.

      "I think everyone is excited because we want to have our voice heard
regardless of the outcome," said Lana Al-Sulaiman, a member of the Lejeddah
group. One voter, however, complained of some disorganization among the
candidates. She said some of the women candidates failed to impress her, but
being the first time it was only to be expected.

      "I think there should be a criterion of who is to be considered a
businesswoman and who should be running for a board of directors election
because ultimately these members, whether male or female, will represent us
nationally and internationally. I was a little disappointed in the way some of
the candidates ran their campaigns based on personal attacks rather than solid
ideas and achievable programs," she said.

      Although the women candidates are eager to talk with the women voters
taking this as an opportunity to raise awareness about any future election
participation for women, in this election most of them are depending on the
men's votes.

      Out of the 2,000 commercial registrations under women's names at the
JCCI, only around 300 of these businesswomen are active members in the chamber
and in running their businesses.

Give at-risk students the materials they need to succeed at DonorsChoose.org!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wlSUMA/LpQLAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. http://www.ppi-india.org
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi