[Nashville RATS] Message from the Chairman + meeting Apr.17 + special event Sat. Apr. 22

  • From: "Nashville RATS" <nashvillerats@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nashvillerats@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:04:57 -0500

NASHVILLE RADIO AMATEUR TRANSMITTING SOCIETY

Hi all,
We have two events in the upcoming week plus a message from the RATS Chairman, Brian, KC4FAN. So please read on...

1. April 17, 2006 Dinner Meeting
2. April 22, 2006 RATS/NARC Special Event
3. Message from the RATS Chairman

DINNER MEETING:

All interested persons are invited -- plus invite your family and friends to this informal dinner meeting. There will be no technical program, but you can talk radio or ask for assistance with your station.

Shoney's offers a homestyle buffet for $7.99, or you can order from the menu. If you still need to pay your 2006 dues, it's still just $15 + $1 for each additional family member).

WHERE: Shoney's, 110 Interstate Drive (across from Titans Stadium). We have reserved a private room.
WHEN: We'll start arriving between 6:00 and 6:30 p.m., Monday, April 17.

SPECIAL RATS/NARC OPERATING EVENT NEXT WEEK:

Sat., April 22 -- NARC Swapmeet, Lock 2 Park, Nashville. No charge to buy or sell. Coffee, doughnuts, and bathroom available.
The RATS will set up a demonstration HF station at the swapmeet -- come out and operate to get ready for Field Day!

MESSAGE FROM THE RATS CHAIRMAN:

Brian D. Shoemaker, KC4FAN  107 McDavid Street Gallatin, Tennessee 37066

April 12, 2006

Dear fellow RATS,
I?m grateful to the RATS club board and club members for trusting me to serve as Chairman for
the club. With little experience, leadership will have to be an acquired trait. I look forward to
working with each of you as we have fun and fellowship together.
Meeting at a local restaurant is a great idea that was suggested by the 2005 board members, and I
fully plan to support their decision. Having the opportunity to talk and get to know each other
should give us greater ability to share ideas, pass along technical knowledge, and inform each
other about community activities. However, we are a transmitting society as our name indicates.
Therefore, the 2006 RATS board wants to encourage members to get on the air? No Excuses.
To accomplish this we are going to operate from Lock 2 Park on April 22. For this event the
Nashville Amateur Radio Club will be hosting and holding a tailgate swap fest. We will begin
setup early morning and will operate as long as there is interest. So even if you don?t have a
radio, you have no excuses and two opportunities to get on the air; first in April and again in
June. For more information about these events please join us at our regular meeting on the third
Monday night of every month.
Since we are no longer meeting at the Red Cross building, there has been some concern by Red
Cross staff that they may be losing the support of the local Amateur Radio community. I hope
this is not true, and I know our ARES group has been working hard to support the Red Cross.
Besides the Red Cross, ARES is also supporting the National Weather Services, Tennessee
Department of Health, Tennessee Emergency Management Agency, and the Mayor?s Office of
Emergency Management. Most of these agencies have already installed Amateur Radio stations,
including all area hospitals. The question now is: In the event of an emergency, will there be
trained Amateur Radio operators to work the stations, or will the stations just collect dust, sadly
confirming the rumor that Amateur Radio operators are unreliable? If you would like to join the
time honored tradition of Amateur Radio operators serving in a time of need, helping to prove
this rumor false, then please contact Jay Mills, K1KY, ARES Emergency Coordinator, at
K1KY@xxxxxxxx, to find out more about how you can help.
When the year has come to an end, I hope we can look back at 2006 and say, ?Fun was had by
all.? I look forward to seeing you at Lock 2 Park on April 22.
--? ?--,
Brian, KC4FAN
RATS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx