[nama] Re: Wolfdream article on Nama

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:06:14 -1000

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 02:16:24PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:
[...]
> One thing that technically doesn't make it a "region" curently is that
> the audio is also not muted on the mother track: for a regionised track
> to work properly, one has to regionise the whole track or fade out the
> regionised parts of the mother track by hand.

The original use case was to duplicate and move a section of audio.

> > Possibly the prompt could display a region name as well:
> >
> > nama [ Strings/violin/first_chorus ] >
> >
> > The hidden track (region) might be named violin-first_chorus.
> That's how a traditional DAW treats it, but it may not be the best way
> to do it in nama.

You suggested it, not me. I do think it would be easy to
implement, with the limitation is it would change when
you stopped the transport or issued a command.

> It might be easier and more intuitive to just put all
> regions of a track on a buss and provide a set of commands to make it
> easy for the user to keep track of what is currently active at this
> point in time with commands such as:
> - show_active_region (sar): Show active region for this track, if any.
> - show_active_regions (sars): Show all active regions.
> - to_active_region (tar): Select the currently active region for this
>   track, like this:
>   Nama> piano tar; vol - 1

That's more-or-less what we have in edit mode: list_edits, select_edit.
However when an edit is selected, you can't go outside the
the play-start and play-end boundaries.

By the way, what about automatically allowing hyphenated
commands. Not everyone likes underscores. :-)

Joel
--
Joel Roth