[nama] Re: Automation

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:22:10 -1000

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 02:43:51PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know I'm throwing another bone in a very busy stew here, but I figured
> it was cool to start talking about it. One feature which is ubiquitous
> in most DAW but yet to be present in nama (believe it or not, the list
> of major DAW features lacking in nama is getting pretty small) is
> parameter automation. Now the automation itself would not be too hhard
> to achieve, since nama already uses -klg to control fades on tracks. The
> main question is, how do we expose this to the end-user in a coherent,
> intuitive way?

> Here iss a mess of thoughts:

I'll just transfer them to another pot for a moment. :-)

First of all, thanks for adding in the use case, really
helps clarify things, to be able to imagine how these
new capabilities will be used.

Now to take some potatoes out of your pot:

> - Drums
>   - We're after a stylistic effect here, so when the chorus comes
>     around, we want to ramps up the compression and increase the volume.
>     For that purpose, we increase the Ratio parameter on the compressor
>     and the volume during the drum fill introducing the chorus and set
>     them back to normal when the second verse comes around, and then
>     repeat the operation for the second chorus.

To we'll need to have two effect... ah let's say "effect macros",
(sounds powerful) in this case pairs the parameters (compressor ratio, volume)
one for the 'normal' drum sound, one for the 'forward'
sound.

We set 'normal' to begin with. Then run through the song. Coming toward the
chorus, we stop the transport (to locate a spot) and say something like
'start pauto using normal'. After a bar or so, we stop
again. 'finish pauto using forward'. Nama would create the
marks and generate curves.

Later we want to move the curve back a bit.

n> list pauto normal
start1 normal 18.5 seconds
finish2 forward 20.1 seconds

n> pauto1 move start1 -1

We could also give the user the option to specify
positions using marks, which the user can move.

It's fun to start thinking about, and a nice break
from my other Nama-munging activities.

Joel

--
Joel Roth