[muglo] Re: webDAV

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:48:00 -0500

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:44:29 -0500, doug rogers <dougsamu@golden> wrote:
> wow. thankyou. I knew I could count on our resident uber-geek :-)

You're welcome sub-geek :-P <fllrp>

Seriously though, WebDAV is also the protocol (?; I think that's what
you'd call it) that iDisk uses. Thus, you can share/write files to
your server from any Mac or Windows or Linux computer (you do need to
enable passwords and change permissions on the folders appropriately).

Ask if you need to know how to edit httpd.conf and/or change permissions.

To edit files that you don't "own" use sudo (super-user do) followed by pico...

sudo pico /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf

If you need to move around in the Terminal.app (this mostly will
happen in the terminal). If you don't want to use the terminal you can
actually use sudo to launch applications in "super user" mode (you can
even open up a Finder window in super user mode... NOT the smartest of
ideas unless you're sure of what you want to happen and you logout
promptly (so that you get rid of the "super user" status for the
Finder)).

Eric.