[muglo] Re: webDAV

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:54:16 -0500

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:52:30 -0500, doug rogers <dougsamu@> wrote:
> 1) Anyone know how to set up a webDAV server in OSX? I would like to
> try to publish an iCal calendar so that a second user on this iBook can
> access it.

Yes, and I have done it (not for iCal but iCal calendar sharing did
work). I'll leave it up to you to follow the on-line instructions for
it ;)

PS I gave a detailed over-view of WebDAV back in August or September
of 2004 here on MUGLO.

> 2) I have set up Web Sharing and tested with an imac. I can get ftp
> access, but not http access to the iBook.

Web Sharing (apache aka httpd) and ftp (ftpd) access are two different
things! You should not get the one when you enable the other so make
sure you're only running services that you want to be running.

> The various documentation I have found indicates that web_dav needs to
> be installed in order to establish a server to publish the Calendar to.

WebDAV is available in the default install of OS X 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3
(Apache 1.2.x or 1.3.x). You will have to edit http.conf in
/private/etc/httpd before you can get WebDAV access!

Check out:
<http://www.shawnwall.com/teach/webdav-ical.php>
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020912065811863>
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/09/20/ical_webdav.html>
<http://www.osxfaq.com/DailyTips/12-2004/12-06.ws>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=setting+up+a+webdav+server+Mac+OS+X&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>

I strongly recommend ShawnWall.com and MacOSXHints.com. These two
sites were key to my getting my httpd server working.

Please note that these instructions are best used with Apache
1.2.x/1.3.x. There are numerous differences between Apache 1.3 and 2.0
but, unless you're running OS X Server 10.3 you don't have to worry
about Apache 2.0 (Apache 1.3 is one of those bizarre anomalies in that
it's a few years old but still gets security fixes b/c so many (major)
web servers rely on 1.3).

> Apache is apparently installed, as the http call gets the Apache set-up
> page, but not the iBook's Sites folder index.html page. This is no
> doubt due to the missing server(?) Hmmm...even sending Safari on the
> iBook to the url gets an error.
>
> Are these the same problem? or am I looking at different, but similar
> difficulties?

Umm. Me don't quite understand but you are on the right track.

If Apache is running, it will serve up a generic "Welcome to Apache
1.3. Apache is working. Here is the manual." (sounds like that's what
you're seeing). These files will be stored in a directory restricted
to super-users and not (normally) accessible through the Finder.

If you want to access stuff in the "Sites" folder of any particular
user, you must (a) put stuff into your sites folder, including an
index.html or index.htm file and (b) append the username with tilde
(~) prepended to the username (let's assume dougr=username, and
www.doug.on.ca is the URL):
e.g. www.doug.on.ca/~dougr

To get WebDAV access working may require fiddling with file
permissions and the likes. The easy (lazy) way out is to store files
in:
/Library/WebServer/Documents

This is the "main" level of your web server. So, if you type in
www.doug.on.ca you will see whatever files are stored in the Documents
folder. What you may have to do is change ownership and/or
permissions. This was a bit of an irritation, but once I got it
working, it worked flawlessly. I could access my OS X apache WebDAV
server from a Windows NT 4.0 SP 6 computer that was COMPLETELY locked
down.

Eric.