[muglo] Re: tutorial

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:12:29 -0500

On 12-Nov-04, at 12:19 PM, Hawk wrote:

> Would appreciate a little tutorial. I have a G4 with 128 megs and
> system
> 9.2.2.
>    Would it be wise to upgrade the system, and to what? What exactly is
> involved? Does it mean I'd have to start over with all the software .
> . .
> like re-install Quicken, etc.? In other words would I have to take
> steps not
> to lose stuff? And why should I make the move? Or should I? Is it
> because
> software will be created that won't work with 9.2.2?
>    Or do I just wait until I need a new computer somewhere down the
> road?
>    I was looking at a photo in the Star yesterday of the new G5 that
> looks
> like little more than a slim monitor and has, the story says, the
> fastest
> processor available in a home computer. Not that I'm thinking of
> buying it,
> it just got me thinking about my own. I know I want to add more memory
> but .
> . . jim

Hi Jim,
As I've said to you before, the first thing that I would do is upgrade
your Ram; 128 is not enough, even for what you are doing, & you will
need more for the Digital camera. I would add 256 meg, which is, as
Eric says, relatively inexpensive. Your existing software will also
work better with more memory.
Unless your needs change drastically, your existing computer will work
fine for what you do & I see no compelling reason to buy new, other
than some snob value etc. Your G4 will run
O/S X well; with the memory upgrade; and all the programmes that you
use currently will work in "Classic" AKA  O/S 9.2.2 Included in O/S X
are some free nifty programmes like the
Safari browser, iTunes; great for listening to Good radio programmes &
a better class of music;
iPhoto, which will store your photos quite well, Mail, much simpler
than other email programmes & the Address book is quite good, once
you're used to how it works. If you have Appleworks 6 it works in X as
well as 9.2.2.
Yes the new G5 looks nice & has a lot of power etc., but I see it as a
low priority for your needs. HTH.

TTFN,
TeeC