[muglo] time lapse

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 08:29:45 -0800 (PST)

The latest twist in my continuing efforts to tame the Time Machine/Time Capsule
tag team is that they're no longer doing their backups hourly, which
was time-consuming on my relatively slow iBook. Instead, they're doing it
approximately every 12 hours — this because of a Terminal-administered tweak I
found suggested on the Web — but for some unfathomable reason the timing
varies from day to day by almost as much as an hour either way, and only some
files are copied. Photographs I took two days ago have been backed up, for
instance, but changes to my journal haven't been copied over since Jan. 5.
It's been such a pain in the posterior that I think I'm just going to let it
ride till I'm ready to spring for a new computer, and rely meanwhile on manual
backups to another drive for the few important files that change regularly.
Meanwhile taking deep breaths and reminding myself, “It'll all be the same in a
hundred years. It'll all be the same in a hundred years . . . "