[muglo] Re: excel

  • From: Theresa Roth <theresaroth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:22:45 -0500

Thanks Wayne.  I went to Staples and found out they only carry the PC
version. One other member recommended it in Dec and I am awaiting the
funds to purchase it. Like many here, I like to do for myself but
some tasks are too daunting to begin with. Maybe Mac Outpost will
have it.

Theresa

On 26-Jan-09, at 12:04 PM, Wayne Dobson wrote:

My humble opinion:
For $99, Quicken is your best bet(or something similar). Unless you
are thoroughly familiar with spreadsheets and have some basic
bookkeeping experience, setting up your own program is not for you. I
have done it, but only because I started well before accounting
software was available for Mac. If you have someone do it for you, you
will be at their mercy forever.

Excel or Numbers have templates for personal finances up to the cheque
register stage, but that won't satisfy the Feds (no sense of humour at
all).

On Jan 26, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Theresa Roth wrote:

> Not sure if you mean me or the other guy with excel problems.
>
> I have not been able to get going on it as I am finalizing
> preparations for my taxes.
>
> However, I am mulling over what I need in terms of record-keeping to
> keep RevCan happy.
>
> The two dilemmas I face are
>
> 1.    Record-keeping for tax purposes. I need to condense forms/invoices
> to enter data into one forma that will extrapolate it and populate
> fields in other forms. I don't really have the knowledge or time to
> begin that task.
> 2.    Backing up data etc in case of accidental deleting or other type
> of crash. Again, knowledge/time are an issue.

Wayne Dobson
pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx
(519) 474-1253 res.
(519) 860-2725 cell