[muglo] Re: battery

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:22:34 -0500

If you remove the battery *and* the back-up battery you're SOL. It's
the back-up battery that provides power to keep the settings. You can
usually safely leave the laptop plugged into the mains whilst swapping
batteries and keep working on it (or leave it sleeping or off).

If you have your laptop unplugged *and* you remove the main battery
*and* you leave it sitting around you will drain the back-up battery
and be left with default settings. This is NOT the recommended way of
doing a PRAM reset since it stresses out a battery that isn't as
robust as the main battery (it too is rechargeable). Eventually your
back-up battery will die. My partner's PowerBook G3 Lombard has a
pretty weak back-up battery. However, it's not worth replacing it when
you consider that we don't use our laptops as laptops anymore (though,
I'd never get a desktop b/c a laptop is so nice and compact).

Eric.