[muglo] The Powerbook story

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Online MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:31:07 -0500

Hello! This powerbook, hobbling along on one good leg, is finally
working reliably. It need a few things yet to be 100% but it works
finally. It was indeed a chain of things gone wrong.

The Adaptor was indeed screwed up. With the help of an 800 number call
to APPLE (Thanks, Larry Hill!). A replacement adaptor was Purred out
the next day.

Also the battery is dead, so it was frustrating to get power to the
thing to trouble shoot.

Also the 2 gig drive is damaged too. Will start the boot up sequence
but won't continue.

And the 14" TFT LCD monitor has damaged connector pins so was
delivering a scrambled image. The other Passive Matrix monitor seems
overexposed and kind of burned in at the same time. And with some
inaccessible software settings (we couldn't see what was going on!)
there was a seemingly impossible but tantalizingly solvable puzzle.

So it was indeed a whole slew of different things.

The bezel and ribbons are good on the 14" TFT, but I would like to
replace the display portion of the screen, and find a new battery and
CD drive, though these things aren't urgent

The Powerbook will draw to an exterior monitor, so when I can hack
together some kind of desk arrangement, I can replace the Performa for
the kids.

  And I have a spare motherboard and power adaptor card to sell to
disperse some costs. I am optimistic at this point.

  There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
__________<http://home.golden.net/~samu>__________