[muglo] Re: Printers: was Re: Epson printer error

  • From: Gerhard Kuhn <gerhardk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:31:24 -0500

>> Samsung B/W are very good printers, sort of on a par with the old
>> Applewriter Lasers, but colour lasers didn't get very good reviews
>
>Well I'm still using an HP OfficeJet G85 all-in-one fax, scan copy
>circa 1998 plus my trusty HP LaserJet 5 MP (1997 ish?) with to

>+80,000 copies.  Some minor issues with both but all in all they have
>both been workhorses for me and the family.  Issues have been mostly
>software for the former some minor repairs for the latter.  Mr.
>Steeper came to the rescue - official HP parts >$100, the Steeper
>solution one nylon tie with some whittling to make it fit plus a
>replacement pick-up rubber while we were in there and good as new (5
>years ago anyway!).  Cost ~$30 including labour!!  No wonder he
>couldn't make a living do that kind of stuff.
>
>Martin

The Epson R2400 is a very nice printer, I don't think there is a better inkjet
photo printer as far as print quality but this seems like a size-able design
flaw.  I don't know how much you can trust this internet research but it seems
to suggest that the official fix would cost around $300 and considering
everything else works perfectly it may be worth doing.  There also seems to be
some sort of drain device that allows you to drain the ink off the pads into a
container for less than $20, I don't know how I feel about taking the printer
apart though.

As for longevity I have a Brother printer that has been kicking around for
almost 10 years and an HP Deskjet of similar vintage.  The Brother is used on a
daily basis the HP does it's thing less frequently but neither is a replacement
for the Epson.

Gerhard