[muglo] Re: Preserving Prints

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:51:00 -0500

On 11-18-06, at 7:24 AM, Gerhard Kuhn wrote:

> If you use a printer that uses a pigment based ink fading is not a
> problem.  Printers that use dye based inks produce prints that can
> fade in a matter of months as opposed to 100 years for pigment based
> inks.
>
> On Nov 17, 2006, at 11:14 PM, Paul Thomas wrote:
>
>> I am making up a number of Christmas cards using an ink jet printer.
>>  From experience in the past I have found that the colour tends to
>> fade
>> after a time!   I understand that it is possible to coat the print
>> with
>> something to prevent or at least reduce fading. Is this true and, if
>> so, with what should the print be sprayed?

Wondering why I missed this firts message. Oh well..

Older inkjets, say of the Apple Stylewriter age, did use inks that
faded.. the ones in the single cartridge variety most likely use
these inks. Modern inkjet printers can use more stable inks. They
claim 75 years without noticeable fading.

Most sprays are designed to protect against dirt. It is a habit my
father had from his work days to spray fix his artwork. It came in
handy later when I was asked to refurbish a piece he had done. 95% of
the problem was solved with an eraser, because bless his heart, he
sprayed the work with a fixative.

If you feel you must spray the new archival inkjet prints, find an
Ultraviolet, or UV protective spray. But for the most part, the
'archival' quality inkjets do not need protection. Fixatives can also
protect against the paper yellowing. Basically this is why any
artwork on paper is protected under glass.

  Offending signature line removed. Bong! Bong! Bong!
__________<http://home.golden.net/~samu>________