[muglo] Re: MP3 / ACC / WMA / OGG Music Files

  • From: Eric D <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:00:18 -0500

> To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: terry.genereaux@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [muglo] MP3 / ACC / WMA / OGG Music Files
> Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:13:19 -0500
>=20
> Hi
> What is everyones views on the different formats (Sound Quality, Size =20
> Etc.) I have about 100 CD i want to start to import into my iMac G4.
>=20
> Thank You,
>=20
> Terry Genereaux
> terry.genereaux@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> iMac G4

What are you planning on doing with them? If you're a Mac-only user and use=
 the iPod I'd stick to AAC. Plus, unless you're an audiophile (and, it seem=
s most hard core audiophiles scoff at CDs anyway) you won't notice much of =
a difference between your CDs and the AACs.

If you don't have an MP3 player yet, I'd still stick with AAC -- if you eve=
r get an MP3 player get an iPod. Don't bother with third party MP3 players =
since, by-and-large, the software for these other players sucks and they re=
ally aren't any less expensive (they're cheaper).

Also, use iTunes. There's nothing that even comes close to iTunes for ease =
of use, power, and file management.

Of course, YMMV. If you want to use non-iPods, rip your songs as 192 kbps M=
P3s (MP3s aren't as efficient as default AACs) and you're future proof but =
at the expense of disk space.

PS It doesn't really matter for archival purposes since you'll have the CDs=
 anyway (at least, as long as you have the songs in your HD collection).

Eric.
Live Search: Better results, fast
http://get.live.com/search/overview=