[muglo] Re: Gmail?

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:12:00 -0500

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:40:21 -0500, Ilbert Walker <walker> wrote:

> Anybody out there who is using gMail yet ?

Yep

> How are you finding it ?

Excellent, after you get used to the slightly different way of
thinking about e-mail.

> Problems with Spam, viruses, ?

No spam. Viruses only affect Windows users dumb enough to download
them anyway ;).

> Ads are annoying ?

Ads are EXCELLENT. I can't say this enough but the "ads" are a "value
added" feature. The paid for ones (bold) are a hit-n-miss proposition
-- I don't usually find them overly information/helpful but the
"freebies" (non-bold) are often excellent. I regularly learn about new
things that way and oftentimes find that I've heard about something
the moment it hits the web.

> Privacy issues -  Homeland Security - Big Brother tracking what's in your
> emails?

Homeland Security will have access to anything that passes through a
US server/relay which means pretty much anything that is international
in nature will inevitably pass through the US, and, quite often you'll
find that accessing domestic sites/e-mail/etc. will require a trip
into the US and back rather than Canada-Canada.

Privacy issues are a red herring. There was a lot of hoopla early on
about how Google was going to be spying on your e-mail and it was
going to be placed on the web for everyone to see. This was empty
scarmongering, probably fueled by Microsoft's Hotmail or Yahoo's Mail
services (pure speculation). GMail has as strong a, if not a stronger
privacy policy regarding the use and storage of e-mail than the other
"free" and "not-so-free" web e-mail services.

FYI E-mail is actually the property of your mail server as long as
it's stored on their hardware.

Eric.