[muglo] Re: Editing and converting Images (Was: PowerPoint

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:23:30 -0500

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:45:28 -0500, Lee Dickey <Lee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think this explains a lot.  BMP is a format invented by and for
> Windows OS, and so is the software.  I am convinced that it is not
> the JPG file itself that is larger, it  is what PPT does with them
> that produces this bizarre consequence.  I still maintain that
> JPGs are inherently more compressed than BMPs.

BMP is not compressed, BUT it is compressable using "loss less"
compression techniques (e.g. zip, tz, sit, etc.). I don't know if MS
invented BMP for their own use (it's ancient & predates PPT), but BMP
is no different from any other uncompressed bit-mapped format like
TIFF (uncompressed) or bitmapped MacPaint files (the ones used for the
old 512x342 startupscreens).

JPEG is a rather testy file format for storing images -- yes, you can
reduce file sizes dramatically, but once you do so you're stuck with
the result (and have "lost" information/clarity/etc.). For _any_
application to work with JPEGs requires the app to decompress the
JPEG, and, if it does anything to it, it must then recompress the
image to save it -- this can result in images balooning to insane
sizes if you, say, lighten or sharpen an image that was originally
saved at 50% but then re-saved at 95% (an app like PPT will try to
keep the quality as high as possible, even if the starting image was
less than perfect).

Eric.