[muglo] Re: Control Strip Modules

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:15:37 -0500

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:10:26 -0500, Leith Peterson <lpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm using OS 9.2.2 on an iBook.  I understand from my OS9 and iBook
> Dummies books, that if I don't want a control strip, I can
> option-drag it (the tile) from the Control Strip Modules folder in
> the System Folder to the trash.  But then one of the books warn that
> I might need it someday.  So what do I do if I don't want it to show
> up in my control strip, but I don't want to trash it, in case I might
> need it someday?
>
> For instance, it appears that the Web Sharing extension and control
> panel may be interfering with my Zip drive, so I turned them off.
> But now I have to stare at this annoyomg red "X" through that control
> strip all the time.  Can I just move the tile to a separate folder or
> something?  Or is there a way to retrieve the tile if necessary after
> it's been trashed?

As you know there's a "Control Strip Modules" folder in the System
Folder. Create another folder in the System Folder called Control
Strip Disabled (or whatever you want to call it). Move whatever
modules from the active folder to the disabled folder to remove them
from the Control Strip.

WebSharing is a pretty unstable piece of code (as is just about every
other aspect of OS 9 ;)... it seems to me that not so long ago a
number of members on this list would swear up and down that OS 9 was
as stable as a rock). Unless you actually plan to use it, I'd remove
it completely. It's not really that useful.

Eric.