[muglo] CD Read Woes

  • From: malbinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:44:27 -0500

OK, who can help? G3 233 basically stock machine with 228 Meg Ram
running OS 9.1. Booted up and stalled during extension load. No
problem. Shift boot and do Disk First Aid - unrepairable error !
Again no problem, Tech Tool Pro (thanks Tee for bringing it
back!) plus an MO drive with 8.6 on it allowed me to do repairs.
Dialogue window I have never seen before. OK with that too!

Now comes the interesting part. Whenever I put in certain CDs
(burned copies but not all of them!) the CDs come up (very
slowly) as unreadable and asks do I want to format them. Then my
system does not read any other CDs unless I reboot. Reboot and it
then recognizes "original" CDs. If I then put one of the
unreadable ones in it is not recognized and I have to paper clip
it out . If I follow it immediately with a "good" one it too is
no longer recognized forcing me to paper clip it and then reboot.

I ditched preference files and replace extensions that had
anything to do with CDs. It looks like I can now put in the
unreadable CDs, get the format dialogue and can eject it. Putting
in a "good" CD now works.

Here's the rub the "bad" CDs are all readable by my other systems
( a Rev A iMac and a Cube) running OS 9.1 with no problems.

Have I missed an extension (Apple Audio, Apple DVD/CD and ISO
9660), forgotten a preference file or is there something else I
could/should try?

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>