[muglo] An interesting read 'Lost' Apple Founder Has No Regrets

  • From: Gerhard Kuhn <gerhardk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:39:44 -0400

I found the following story on the NPR iPad App:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127816212&sc=ipad&f=1001

'Lost' Apple Founder Has No Regrets
by NPR Staff and Wires
NPR - June 13, 2010

This past week, Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the fourth-generation iPhone.
It's just one more achievement for Apple, now the largest tech company in the
world, worth well over $220 billion.

The story of Apple's founding is the stuff of legend in Silicon Valley. Two
young programmers, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak created the company out of
nothing.

But there was a third founder -- Ron Wayne. On April Fools' Day 1976, he got
together with Jobs and Wozniak to write Apple's incorporation document. He
typed up the three pages himself, and even designed the company's first logo.

But only 12 days later, Wayne left Apple and a 10 percent stake in the company
that today would be worth billions. Wayne now lives in a modest home in
Pahrump, Nev., just outside Las Vegas -- and survives, primarily, off his
Social Security check and a small business selling vintage coins.

NPR's Guy Raz spoke with Wayne to hear the story of Apple's "lost" third
founder, who says he has no regrets.

"Whatever has been, has been," said Wayne. "I learned a long time ago not to
'what if' these things."

After Apple made it big, Jobs offered Wayne employment with the company --
twice. But Wayne refused. "I like to take things from beginning to end," said
Wayne. "Where I can wear six or seven hats. I couldn't do that at Apple."

Wayne says he doesn't own any Apple products. But he's content with his life
and happy for Jobs. "I've never been rich," Wayne said. "But I've never been
hungry, either." [Copyright 2010 National Public Radio]

To learn more about the NPR iPad app, go to
http://ipad.npr.org/recommendnprforipad

Gerhard
gerhardk@xxxxxxx