[muglo] Airport solution

  • From: Douglas Feick <dejl6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:06:13 -0500

An Airport Extreme card in a Mac is a short range wireless receiver
and sending unit. I can detect signals from my neighbours PC wireless
network from about 500' away.

I can share the internet with my laptop within 30' of my desktop
computer because I have Airport on the laptop Mac.

I can't share files or transfer data wirelessly using Airport
Extreme on my Mac, but I can using Bluetooth. Bluetooth is
ridiculously slow for this, but it can work to do a small file if you
let it run all night.

If I want to transfer data, share pictures between my computer and
the TV, or play music from itunes on my stereo, I need an Airport
Extreme Base Station.

The Airport Utility on my Mac is for use with an Airport  Extreme
base station, not an Airport Extreme card.

That being said, where can I get a good buy in the area for an
Airport Extreme base station, and how much am I looking at spending,
now that I have my Christmas purchases to pay off on my credit card.
Is there any hope I can find a reduced cost item post Boxing Day
sales. I also understand I have to buy a unit to attach to each item
I want to link up to in my network.

Any comments or help?