[msb-alumni] Two Michigan Supreme Court Justices Are Like Family

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 15:04:27 -0500

Blank2 Michigan Supreme Court justices are like family The Michigan Supreme
Court's newest justice is at ease with Chief Justice Robert Young Jr. After
all, Richard Bernstein is like family. In fact, there's Bernstein in the
front row of a large photo at the Young family reunion in 2013. "Little did
I know," Young told the Associated Press, "that he would be my colleague as
well as my cousin. Well, not exactly. But Bernstein was welcomed at the
reunion as a guest of Cynthia Overton of Silver Spring, Md., his best friend
and Young's cousin. The Young family gets together every few years, usually
around July Fourth. The 2013 gathering drew roughly 50 people to a northern
Virginia hotel. "He participated in all of the events," Young said. "We had
a tour of Washington and so on. The last day is the banquet. We honor the
lately departed and those with life achievements. Then we have a family
portrait. "It was unusual," he said, "but our family has lots of people over
the years who have been to family events. Bernstein is a Democrat, and his
family's law firm represents people who have been injured in car wrecks,
slip-and-falls and medical malpractice. Young, a Republican with a strict
interpretation of law, is not a favorite of plaintiffs' lawyers. Overton
said she has known Bernstein since the 1990s when they worked together on
issues facing people with disabilities. Bernstein, who is blind, will be
sworn into office on Jan. 1 after finishing second in a race for two Supreme
Court seats. "I wish I was in the legal profession so I could have a better
appreciation for this," Overton said. "They're kind-spirited, nice and
decent. Their perspective, their view, their approaches may be different,
but I know them in the context as people. Bernstein, 41, said the reunion
was "wonderful. He describes Young, 63, as a warm, funny guy. "His family
refers to him as 'Skipper,' " Bernstein said. "I call him 'Chief,' and he
calls me 'cousin .
From the Detroit Free Press

GIF image