[moneytalks] Beta: Regarding transfering sub-parts of split transactions to other accounts.

  • From: "Steve Zielinski" <steveziel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:29:57 -0500

Hello all,

If a transaction is a split transaction, one cannot transfer it to another
account with the F4 key when the splits are off.

This makes sense to me, because all of the sub-parts, including some which make
no sense in a transfer to certain accounts would be transfered if allowed.

However, if you turn splits on, then all individual sub-parts in the split can
be transfered to a different account EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST ITEM on the list of
expanded transactions for that particular parent transaction. I've tried this
with transactions that have 2, or 3, or 4 splits on them. When it is in the
register with splits off, it cannot be transfered to another account. When
splits are on, then the first item cannot be transfered, but the others can.

Here, one can control which specific items might make sense in a transfer to a
different account. For instance, you might have taken an amount from an ATM
machine, and split that transaction, some going to pocket cash, some cash going
to pay a credit card bill in cash at the bank, and some going to make a cash
deposit into a savings account. If, for instance, the amount you want to go to
savings is on the top of the list of expanded splits, you are unable to make
that transfer with the F4 key.  Yes, you can manually create the transaction in
the savings register, but this should be unnecessary if the F4 works for all
split items.

So having the ability to individually choose all sub-parts of the full
transaction for the transfer makes sense to me.  It's a nice feature.

Can the program be arranged so that even the first item in expanded splits be
transfered? If not, this seems like a bit of a limitation to me.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Steve