[modeleng] Re: Vulcan (British) Factory Material

  • From: "Jem Harrison" <Jem.Harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:38:44 -0000

Charles,

This is a fascinating site.

Last year, at the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust AGM, Tony Foster gave a
very interesting talk about the struggle that Vulcans had in getting the S&D
to pay for a batch of engines they had ordered.  Tony Foster had rescued
Vulcan material that would have been consigned to a skip (minute books, I
think), and was able to piece together the story.  The S&D went into
receivership and those locos that it did not have the funds to purchase from
Vulcans were eventually sold to the Prussian Government for the Alsace
Lorraine Railway.

The enuii site also has a couple of photographs of engines built for the
SDJR.  Althose there are other known photographs of these engines, these
particular works photos may be new to SDJR cognoscenti.  I shall check.

Thankyou Charles for this lead.

Best wishes,

Jem Harrison
Basildon