[modeleng] Re: Two piece pistons

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:31:31 -0500

Al,

I converted the pistons on my Filer and Stowell into two piece ones and they
work just fine. Rings do not get sprung out of round while putting them on
the piston since the front comes off.   I put two thin rings in one groove
and held the piston together with two #5 flat head screws.  Two piece
pistons are nothing new as I noticed when I did the article on the Missouri
River Packet "Arabia" for Live Steam.  The piston is so constructed that the
front piece can be removed and rings replaced while piston is still in
cylinder. There are four bolts to hold it together and four square headed
jack screws to aid in removal from the piston body.  Anyone who wants to see
this piston, send me a request and I will email a pic and stick in a photo
of the port side engine as a bonus.

Jesse