[modeleng] Re: Suppliers (again)

  • From: Peter Sheppard <peter.sheppard@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:25:37 -0000

I would hate this to turn into a supplier bashing thread, as in most cases
I have had good support from many model engineering suppliers, however
recently I was quite surprised by one SM32 supplier.

They make their own bogies and supply the kits in pairs.  I am currently
modifying a steam railcar (and trailer) from 45mm to 32mm and I had a
choice of either modifying the existing bogies, or buying three replacement
(one bogie is the "power" bogie that I have to convert myself).

I phoned them, only to receive a recorded message saying that they would be
stock-taking for 2 weeks, would not be taking orders by phone, but would
deal with orders by post.

I then sent an order in saying that I only wanted 3 bogies and would they
split a pack (after all they are the manufacturers).  Three weeks later we
had a garbled phone message telling me that splitting a pack was far too
difficult.  As I said on the order that it was three or nothing, I left it.
 (I agree I possibly should have phoned to confirm that I didn't want
them).

One Saturday (when I was flying to Australia) my wife had a phone call from
them saying, well do you want them or not, and they needed an answer NOW!
 She said she didn't know and that I was currently on my way to Australia.
 Again an answer was demanded.  She said yes to two pairs.

When I recently spoke to my wife, she told me what had happened and I
suggested that she phone them and ask them to take them back, as she was
put into a position where she had little choice.

The have begrudgingly agreed to take them back, and have very generously
said that there would be "no restocking fee", well after there demanding
phone calls I should sincerely hope not.

So what is my gripe as they have taken the goods back.

Well, they have little intent to foster good customer relations (not with
me anyway).  They have been pushy, demanding, almost rude.  A friend asked
if he could see their premises (most are willing to show their customers
their production facility) he was told a most definite "No!

In general most suppliers I deal with will normally go out of there way to
help the customer, fortunately this crowd are the exception rather than the
rule.

I certainly won't be buying from them again.

Cheers

Peter