[modeleng] Re: Stainless fasteners

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:32:33 +0000 (GMT)

Hi there Tim,

I had always been told that the problem with stainless steel was its
tendancy to get eaten away in preference to bronze, or was it copper, due
to galvanic corrosion.

Chloride embrittlement sounds more like something which would cause cracks
to form for example if you used the stainless for the barrel of the
boiler, in the same way that you can get hydrogen embrittlement if you
weld with rods that are in any way damp - although I'm just regurgitating
things from lectures in the dim and distant past, and may well be wrong.

Yours,

Rich.