[modeleng] Re: Stainless fasteners

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:57:22 +0000

Thanks for that Rich.

My understanding is that that is not a problem with A4. if anyone knows
better let me know. I think there is an oxide layer which effectively
prevents further corrosion either galvanically or otherwise but that the
mechanism (I always wonder why that is not a chemism but hey) you outline
can be a problem with other grades and so for example A2 will corrode in the
presence of chloride ions. The galavanic corrosion could occur by the way
with either copper or tin so both copper and bronze are in the frame.

I shall however be monitoring anxiously the start of any fasteners which
penetrate into the boiler interior.