[modeleng] Spark Arrestors

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:33:05 +0100

Yesterday I was running Mouland at the Lackham Museum and Woodland
Railway.

All was going well, then she lost steam and the fire refused to draw.  I
put the electric blower in and the fire picked up.  It got to about
40psi and I removed the electric blower and went back to the steam
blower.  The fire went out!

I dropped the fire, rebuilt it, and restarted using the electric blower.
  The fire picked up nicely.   At about 35psi I swapped to the steam
blower and a healthy fire disappeared!

I opened the smokebox door up and there was a good blast of steam from
the blower.  It was then I realised that some of the steam was coming
back towards me.  My original thought was a leaking blower steam pipe.

However, it turned out that the blast from the cylinders (carrying with
it some oil laden soot particles) had blocked the arrestor directly
above the blast pipe and when the blower was put on, the steam was just
rebounded off this soot and went back down the tubes onto the fire.

Once cleared it was OK.

I've had this arrestor in place for at least a year, it gets cleaned
after every run, but this is the first time that after what what a very
short  time after steaming up, it got blocked.

What size mesh to other people use in a 7.25" locomotive? (Is size of
the locomotive important?)  Has anybody else had this problem?

Regards

Peter