[modeleng] Re: Slide valves

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 23:33:03 +0800

Gent's,

It's the degree of superheat that is the problem. Many of the earlier
designs of superheaters were not much more than driers, and didn't have any
problems with slide valves. Once superheat temps went to 350°F and higher,
the lubrication problems started. Peter hit the nail on the head with the
complications of poor lubrication. Some slide valve engines survived and ran
sucessfully with high superheat after the 1930's due to the development of
high temp oils that could survive and lubricate at high superheat temp's.
600W was the first step up in the superheat lubrication, and what those of
us who have real working superheaters, should be using as we don't get high
enough temp's at the cylinder to warrent high temp superheat oil.
As a side note; saturated steam needs little or no lube oil for lubrication,
as the condenate acts as a lubricant. But with a small amount of lubricating
oil, the friction drops much lower. Adding more oil will not decrease it
further.

Cheers,

Phill.