[modeleng] Siemens Micromaster 420

  • From: "Andrew Houston" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:37:01 -0000

Guys

A fellow Model Engineer has bought a Siemens Micromaster 420 Inverter (more
accurately a single-phase to 3-phase Variable Frequency Motor Drive) on
E-bay, which is fitted with the standard simple Status Display Panel (SDP).
I have been assisting him in his efforts to get it working on his machine
tool.  Despite our collective efforts, we have hit a "brick-wall" and cannot
get the drive operative.

I have contacted "Siemens Technical Assistance" but they cannot shed any
light on the problem, based on our diagnosis so far, and have advised us to
check the 420 Parameters and Fault codes - a conclusion we had come to
ourselves - in order to understand if the drive is faulty or if it just
needs re-set to "factory default".

Unfortunately, this cannot be done with the SDP supplied and requires one of
the following :-
A Basic Operator's Panel (BOP)
OR
An Advanced Operator's Panel (AOP)
OR
A PC to Inverter Connection Set + Software CD

All of these are available as optional extras and will fit all sizes of
Micromaster 420.  We have downloaded the Manual but the S'ware CD, which
would have been supplied with the unit and Instruction Manual, wasn't part
of the E-bay deal and I can't locate a source for it.

As you can imagine, purchase of any of these items at retail price is not a
route we would like to take if the VFD is "NBG".

Has anyone in the UK got a 240 BOP, AOP or PC Connection Set + S'ware, which
they would be willing to loan us for diagnostic purposes or sell us at
reasonable price.

We are located in SE England.  I'm on the Bromley/Kent border and he's in
Chatham but, of course, we'd pay postage, etc, if needed failing a
"get-together".

Andy