[modeleng] Re: Self vapourising alcohol burner

  • From: steve crees <stevecrees@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:36:04 +0100 (BST)

Hi Phil
Rather than live steam why not use a high talk electric motor like they use on
electric scooters that way you have no fear of scalding or burns etc.
Steve c
Phill Smith <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Harry,

Please send me what ever you have on both the pressurised atomising burners
(though thinking about it, the blow torch variety are very noisy...) and the
drip feed burners.

The atomising burners, if made with multiple burner holes like a gas burner
ring (but in a rectangle) should produce far more heat than a alcohol flame
from a wick.... Unless someone has come up with a way of getting a better
air/fuel mix?

I did think of using LPG, but there is simply to much wastage (when
filling), costs more, and most importantly, not for use by a 10 year old
with out my direct supervision.
Ultimately, I will set it all up so that the fuel runs out just before the
water does. With a simple water level plug in the back of the boiler to
indicate the correct level, and a full tank of meths, I am expecting there
to be around 15 mins (hopefully) of run time. 10 minutes would be the
minimum run time. The boiler is standard loco style, but with only 3 flues
(filled with 1/8" Galloway tubes) and heaps of Galloway tubes in the
firebox. This should produce a free steaming boiler from the low heat energy
meths. The trick is, remove every bit of heat from the gasses you can.

Cheers,

Phill.