[modeleng] Re: Oilite bearings

  • From: "Jeff D" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 13:18:44 +0000

That's a sad state of affairs. I don't know how the USA firm is doing, but
I'll see what I can find out.

Boston Gear and several other companies still offer oil impregnated sintered
bronze bearings, but most are made in China now.

The last ones I bought for my work from a well known US firm were totally
useless - they were .010 bigger on the od and .008 smaller on the id than
the max catalogue tolerances. They didn't fit the shaft and bore I had
designed to catalogue sizes, so I made up some proper ones from cored stock
from the same supplier (and took some heat from the supervisor for the
delay).

Oh, and the supplier's response to my complaint about the first ones that
were out of spec - "oh we can't help that, our warranty only covers
replacing defective goods - would you like some more at no cost?" I asked if
the replacements were from a different batch, and/or would be inspected to
ensure they would be on-size. "Oh we don't inspect anything anymore, and
yes, they are all the same batch."

Won't be specifying that brand again.

Cheers Jeff Dayman