[modeleng] Re: Mystery thread and blade speed

  • From: "Jeff D" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:01:09 +0000

I get excellent blade life (several years) with Starrett HSS bimetal blades
and 150 fpm in CR/HR steels and many other metals and wood, just FYI. My
bandsaw is a converted wood one, but has an all steel frame and was heavily
made by a small shop somewhere. I made a V belt step down transmission for
it to get 150 fpm. Never needed anything else - worked just fine right away
and has for 20 years now almost every day. Only changed blades about three
times.

I'd set up for 125-150 fpm at the low end.

Good luck, Jeff Dayman