[modeleng] Re: Mostly definitely NOT Engineering in Miniature

  • From: Daniel Donnelly <kc7vda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:57:26 -0700

Hello all;
Been there ... done that for several years,  although "0nly" to 350 feet !
  at first the "pucker factor" was decidedly extreme, but after doing
it for the 5th or 6th time climbing became just another job with the
advantage of a really beautiful view.

As to how  a tower like that one is built, we always built the lower
levels ( up to about 500 feet )  using the same type of crane used to
build a modern high rise office building ...  above that a flying
crane helo lowered the sections into place and we just bolted each new
section to the lower section. To quote my super " no big deal "

But the high time pay was great! And climbing does truly became addictive.
I personally think you have to be slightly crackers to do a job like
that ... but then the best people I know are slightly crackers anyway.
Dan