[modeleng] Re: Mallets - am I missing something

  • From: Jeff Dayman <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 16:45:41 -0500

Hi Ron,

I believe you are correct, the rear engine was rigidly mounted to boiler and
frame on these Baldwin Mallets and only the front engine and frame pivoted.
(and most if not all Mallets, as far as I know). Pivot of front engine on
the Baldwin logging 2-6-6-2's was between last and middle drivers of the
front engine. The rear engine had a saddle built as part of the cylinder
casting which the boiler rested on, midway from front to back of the boiler.
By the way, many of the Baldwin Mallets were not compounded, but had two
sets of high pressure engines exhausting either to atmosphere via the stack
or to the water tanks for some condensing effect/water conservation. By
definition, some purists would argue that only a compound can be called a
true Mallet type. (but that's nitpicking in my opinion)

Bachmann may have made the back engine pivoted on their models to allow use
on tighter radius track in garden railways. (Artistic license or butchery /
sacrilege, you can decide)

Cheers Jeff Dayman