[modeleng] Re: Fred Dibnah

  • From: "BarriePurslow" <Barrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:41:05 -0000

Hello Wilfried,

Sorry you missed this - he was a great guy. I only met him once although he
lived about twenty miles away. He was exactly the guy you saw on the telly -
totally unaffected. I once worked with one of his sons on a 15" gauge loco,
I remember his skill at reaching into awkward places with a nut and washer
gripped in his (usefully small) hand. Obviously well brought up by Fred.
The programme presented little if anything new, it was a collection of bits
from previous programmes interspersed with tributes from various people. One
or two seemed rather out of place - Sebastion Coe for example who seemed to
know bugger all about Fred or engineering but appeared with a large logo
advertising London's Olympic bid. Hmmm.....I'm pretty sure Fred would not
have approved of that!

Cheers,

Barrie Purslow
Warrington UK