[modeleng] Firebox door open or closed?

  • From: "Roy Jewell" <roy.jewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:10:46 +0100

According to my ?57 copy of the Handbook for Railway Steam Locomotive
Enginemen, the firebox door is an integral part of correctly controlling
combustion. It is used to provide secondary air above the fire with the view
of keeping firebox temperatures as constant as possible within its optimum
working range. The firebox door in full size practice has a baffle which
directs air down below the brick arch and towards the grate enabling proper
combustion above the fire. Of course, if the baffle is burnt away or
directed above the arch, or the arch is broken, cold air will hit the tube
plate with the possible effects as already described.

An interesting read, the Handbook for Railway Steam Locomotive Enginemen,
and much easier to get hold of these days. Ebay was the source of my copy
for the princely sum of £5.77!

Roy