[modeleng] Fire engine

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:02:49 -0500

Someone on this list, Alan Stepney I think, asked about a photo I sent them of
a beautiful Washington DC horse drawn fire engine that was retired in 1921.
The engine was a 1905 American LaFrance 3d class 600 gpm pumper and is still in
existence, sans horses of course.  The engine belongs to the DC Fire Museum and
they carry on a trailer it in annual parades in Washington DC. The last of the
three horses died on a farm at the age of 27 and was buried with honors. Fire
horses had to be moved a considerable distance from the city when they were
retired or else they would get all antsy if they heard the fire alarm and would
try to get in on the action.
Jesse in Troy, TN