[modeleng] Engines from bar stock

  • From: john.burridge@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:51:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi to all,
The problems from castings as you have all said is either the price or the
availability.
I think the other problem is the availability of designs and information either
old going back to the turn of the century or new of other model or full size
engineers, who would like there designs copied, or reduced so that us model
engineers could scale down full size to make models out of.
I have been looking for some time for information,designs, and availability of
either castings and or drawings for the Steam launch that i would like to start
soon, I think that building you engine from bar stock you can cut cost and
combine ideas of lots of designs, then  coming up with a suitable engine and
boiler which is pratical and easier to produce.
As for the Hull i will start with a fibre glass of a donner boat and put a hard
wood deck and top onto.
The problem unless you talk to many other who have built other models is the
suppliers dont tell you and compare their models with other suppliers
equivalants and the for and againists, and the differences and problems which
one encounter during its production.
Well enough of my waffle for now.
Regards John Burridge
--