[modeleng] Re: Day out around London?

  • From: "Andrew Houston" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:42:46 +0100

Bede

Unless you are really stuck for somewhere to go, I wouldn't recommend the
National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.

Compared to visits made in my childhood with my children 10 years ago, the
museum has been reduced to one hall (the old Neptune Hall), a lot fewer
exhibits and a general "dumbing down" to suit modern school visits.

The Marine Engineering and Model content, for example, is almost
non-existent and more space seems to have been allocated, on the mezzanine
floor, to an open area and a coffee bar than to museum exhibits.  Gone is
the 12" to 1 foot sectioned paddle tug, marine engines, lake cruiser, etc,
etc.  The Harrison Chronometers are in the Royal Observatory on the hill and
the building on the East end (wherein were most of the models) was closed to
the public a few years ago. Even the cannon were missing from the front of
the museum and the "anchor park" (just inside the eastern boundary) was in a
sad state of decay.

The only "up side" is that it, and the Queens House" are free to enter.

Andy