[modeleng] Re: Bristol Exhibition

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:47:35 +0100

Hi All,

Just to say another good show at Bristol.

The star trade item as far as I was concerned was a New Digital Readout for
Myford Lathes which is going to be producd by Arc Euro Trade.
Whereas most other DRO's rely on some sort of strip from which the DRO reads
the increments, this one fits actually just inside the crossslide handle.

It would seem that the cross slide thread is replaced and so is the bracket
which stands the handle off from the end of the slide. The new thread and
bracket are then fitted which incorporates a small DRO box which has a read
out on the top and the handle fitted back on. From what I could see the unit
actually measures the rotation of the thread and is super sensitive. The box
is  only about 50mm H x 50mmW and 20mm thick,does the usual trick of
measures in either inches to four places of decimals or metric.Very neat and
supposed to be available soon. Price £75. I have never got enthusiastic
about DRO's before but this one is definitely on my shopping list.
They also did a DRO  for the Leadscrew but to get the gearing right it was
connected to the actual leadscrew by a toothed belt. Still neat but not so
good.
In fact they have a whole batch of goodies coming out for Myfords including
a faceplate which incorporates a Collet holder and a replacement motor with
infinite electronic speed control.

Regards

Clif