[modeleng] Re: Beginners loco`s

  • From: "Dave Beaman" <davebeaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:43:18 +0100

Hi Ron,

I have a 5" Sweet Pea. It is an easy loco to maintain, fire, drive and will
pull 3 adults and 4 kids up a 1 in 90 bank. I use mine for kids birthdays
parties at my club track and will keep going very well. The loco is not too
heavy, although it takes two to lift it, it's not difficultto store, all the
waggly bits, (motion), are on the outside and therefore makes for easy
maintenance. I think this loco is an ideal first time engine with all the
castings etc, readilly available from Blackgates Engineering along with
advice. I have posted a pic on of mine on the modeleng images board.

It all comes down to personal taste, what Alan says about the weights etc is
true, remember, you will have to store a loco, unloading it at home as well
as your club etc. You wil also have to maintain it, maybe turning it over to
get to the underneath, so think about space.

Good luck with your project,

Dave.

Sweet Pea and its derivatives are also worth considering. Some people say
that the  marine-type boiler is easier to make than the conventional boiler.

Whichever loco you choose, make sure that it is one that YOU like. That will
help maintain the enthusiasm when problems occur.

I am sure that other list members will have their own views.

Good luck.

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.