[modeleng] Re: Beginners loco`s

  • From: "Pendragon" <idpriest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:30:50 +0100

Greetings ~~~Still here in sunny Kingswinford !

In my opinion its all horses for courses but I'd personally stay away
from 31/2" as this gauge of loco can be a little fiddley and has to be
well made to be any good on the track.

Also there is the cost consideration you will find that many of the
castings for an LBSC or Martin Evans designed loco tend to be a little
cheaper ~ probobaly because everyone in the world supplies the castings
for them.......Also many of the LBSC locos were designed with the
beginer or 'Tyro' as he used to say, in mind, as such many model
engineers have cut their teeth on these engines and it follows that
there will always be somebody who knows where the pitfalls are.

My advice would therefore be to build either an LBSC or Martin Evans
lcoc in 5" gauge.

Regards, IP