[modeleng] Re: An innocent abroad---Now brushes

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:26:02 +0000

Hi Al

I'm not certain i you are asking where Dremel brushes are available from (my
guess is it would be cheaper to buy a me-too and take the brushes out rather
than buy kosher Dremel brushes).

On the other hand you could be suggesting that I use Dremel brushes in my
dynamo. The size of the beast is I think not comprehended. The postman
delivered and said with eyes popping out "It is [expletive deleted] heavy."
He is right. It stands a couple of feet tall. The castings weigh in in
excess of 30lbs. I reckon I can get a good 10lbs of copper on each pole and
there is an armature to fit too. My provisional plan is to use the brushes
from the car dynamo which will provide the armature. I plan to upload to
www.alexandra.org.uk some pictures of prototypical brushes (there are
usually some pictures there so have a look) but fitting more contemporary
ones can follow later.

I've a copy of vol 11 of ME which in those days of course was the ME "and
Amateur Electrician" which seems to suggest that something nearer 20swg
might be usual. I'll see if I can track down some other volumes or early
20th century books.

Thanks to Andy for the motor winding idea. It had not occured to me. I first
thought they'd not be able to wind rectangular poles but on thinking about
it I don't see why they shouldn't. Maybe they'd have an idea about the size
wire to use too.