Re: [MoAccess] Question about one of the guitar samples

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:02:08 -0400

Jes, this will sound a little strange, but stuff like that can make
voices sound real. I know that, with keyboard players in particular,
there is this tendency to have everything be crystal clear and perfect.
That's fine. In dance, and some kinds of pop, that is a very popular
thing to do. However, sounding too perfect contributes to you sounding
like a computer. Again, sometimes, that is appropriate. However, if
you're intending to sound like a live band, you need to have some
inperfection.

Here is an odd thought to consider. We know that live musicians don't
have computer-perfect timing, that they will occasionally not fret a
string with perfection (and so will get some bleed over or noise), that
equipment will sometimes sound a little rough, etc. So, if your goal is
to sound like a group of live rock musicians, for example, you can get a
long way toward that by trashing up your song. Quantize with a lower
strength than you'd normally use (60 to 70 percent), for example, so
that the timing isn't perfect. For the guitars, play those 60hz samples,
but play them with very low velocity (so that it is a faint hum rather
than some blaring noise). Go in and edit the amp simulator effects for
the guitars so that the mics are off axis, and so that the tone is a
little more dull than you would normally want. For the
rhodes/whirly/organ sounds, make sure that you're overdriving them
slightly, even if you aren't intending to distort them (this sounds like
the gear is slightly offand also brings up the more softly sampled
sounds of the tines or tone wheels working). Over compress individual
parts, especially the drums, and the entire mix.

I know. This is everything that you're not supposed to do when you're
creating that perfect crystal clear mix. However, the perfect crystal
clear mix is what people expect out of a keyboard, where everything is
pretty much digital from end to end. However, making your sound a little
dirty gives that feel that this is real instruments being recorded. For
even greater effect, you can play each of your parts through your studio
monitors, mic them, and track them individually into your DAW. With the
room sounded add on top of everything else, it will sound like you were
recording instruments and not samples.

Just some things to think about.

Bryan