[missbirdphotos] Re: Photoshop Elements 12

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Mississippi Bird Photos Freelists <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 12:14:49 -0400

 Thanks for the review & example!

Robert

Robert Smith
rsmithent@xxxxxxx
www.photobiologist.com

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:54:55 -0500
Subject: [missbirdphotos] Photoshop Elements 12
From: danaswan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been an advocate for Photoshop Elements for a while.  Started with PSE7,
then upgraded to PSE8, PSES9 and finally PSE10.  When PSE11 came out last year,
I did not care for the new interface so I did not upgrade.  It robbed the size
of the photo image in exchange for larger graphics and menus.   When PSE12 came
out, I hoped that Adobe would offer the option to return to the PSE10 format.
I downloaded the 30 day trial option of PSE12.   Unfortunately, no such option
is offered.   Further, I find that the new interface is not particularly user
friendly and requires more steps to accomplish what were previously simple
steps.   For example, when using such a simple tool as the crop tool, an
annoying screen keeps popping up telling you what the crop tool does and the
annoying screen covers up the lower one-third of the image, requiring you to
click the screen to get rid of it.  Each step in cropping again brings up the
annoying screen covering up the lower one-third of the image and again
requiring you to click to get rid of it.   The main touted tool in PSE12 is
something called content aware move.    It allows you to move an object in your
photograph to another position and elements fills in the hole.  It works, sort
of.   The results depend on the background.   The following photo of the stilts
shows how it works.   The photo (a non-prize winner) of the stilts was taken
last week at Sky Lake.  The original photos has one of the stilts in the far
right of the photo.  Using content aware move, I moved the stilt to the left.
Elements did a pretty good job of filling in the space, but a little work with
the clone tool was still necessary.  The photo is for illustrative purposes
only.  Since I find the interface annoying, I probably will not upgrade.   If
you have and like PSE11, except for the content aware move which is of limited
use, I don’t seen much reason to upgrade.