[missbirdphotos] Photoshop Elements 12

  • From: Dana Swan <danaswan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:54:55 -0500

I have been an advocate for Photoshop Elements for a while. Started with
PSE7, then upgraded to PSE8, PSES9 and finally PSE10. When PSE11 came out
last year, I did not care for the new interface so I did not upgrade. It
robbed the size of the photo image in exchange for larger graphics and
menus. When PSE12 came out, I hoped that Adobe would offer the option to
return to the PSE10 format. I downloaded the 30 day trial option of PSE12.
Unfortunately, no such option is offered. Further, I find that the new
interface is not particularly user friendly and requires more steps to
accomplish what were previously simple steps. For example, when using such
a simple tool as the crop tool, an annoying screen keeps popping up telling
you what the crop tool does and the annoying screen covers up the lower
one-third of the image, requiring you to click the screen to get rid of it.
Each step in cropping again brings up the annoying screen covering up the
lower one-third of the image and again requiring you to click to get rid of
it. The main touted tool in PSE12 is something called content aware move.
It allows you to move an object in your photograph to another position and
elements fills in the hole. It works, sort of. The results depend on the
background. The following photo of the stilts shows how it works. The photo
(a non-prize winner) of the stilts was taken last week at Sky Lake. The
original photos has one of the stilts in the far right of the photo. Using
content aware move, I moved the stilt to the left. Elements did a pretty
good job of filling in the space, but a little work with the clone tool was
still necessary. The photo is for illustrative purposes only. Since I find
the interface annoying, I probably will not upgrade. If you have and like
PSE11, except for the content aware move which is of limited use, I don’t
seen much reason to upgrade.